Where NY music fanaticism and NY Mets fanaticism need not be mutually exclusive. Next year is now, bitches!

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

"Songs mean a lot...when songs are bought...."

Hey kids, want a copy of the new Le Tigre record? It lists at most stores at the "introductory" price of $9.99, but if you're really strapped for cash, make a beeline to Other Music and find the copy I just introduced to their used section for $8.99. It had a few decent tracks, but it only took two listens for me to say, 'meh.' Not unlike the !!! record.

Fortunately, this being new release Tuesday, I was able to spend the store credit on that new super duper reissue of Pavement's Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain, an album which I'm ashamed to say I never actually had a solid copy of, but had heard so many times it felt like I did. Now I can listen to "Unseen Power of the Picket Fence" whenever I want, which is good because my copy of the No Alternative compilation ended up being one of those records that was borrowed by a college 'friend' and never returned. Malkmus isn't kidding when he says that "Time After Time" is the worst song on Reckoning, although "Letter Never Sent" certainly gives it a run for its money.

Other Music is cool because they usually play CDs in the store that I would never purchase without hearing first....usually exotic dub tracks. This time around they were playing Black Mahogani II by Moodymann, A.K.A. Detroit based techno producer Kenny Dixon Jr. (all info courtesy of Allmusic) Put bluntly, I have never heard a single record that rips off Miles' In A Silent Way so much in my life. I asked the guy behind the counter if the whole record was a Miles Davis remix (a'la Bill Laswell's Panthalassa) or used a bunch of Miles samples, and he said "no, although I can totally see where you're coming from." Jazz's dark prince is spinning in his grave, likely calling Moodymann an "evil motherf*****" as I type.

1 Comments:

Blogger rajeev said...

i've only heard 'black mahogani' once but it sounded nothing like miles to me. maybe version 2 is very different. moodymann's album 'silent introduction' is pretty good ... chilled out house.

3:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home