Where NY music fanaticism and NY Mets fanaticism need not be mutually exclusive. Next year is now, bitches!

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Weird Music and the ALCS

1. The Fox Sports opening montage use of the title track from Bad Religion's recent The Empire Strikes First. In particular, the chorus, which goes - "Don't want to live, don't want to give, don't want to be, E-M-P-I-R-E!"

I always assumed that Greg Graffin wrote the song as a response to U.S. foreign policy, but I suppose it might have been about the Yankees. Come to think of it, classic BR tracks "We're Only Gonna Die (For Our Own Arrogance)" and "1000 More Fools" were probably about the Bronx Bombers too.

2. Boston closer Keith Foulke's bullpen music. Everytime he exited the 'pen in Fenway, Sox fans were treated to a loud rendition of Danzig's "Mother '93." I realize most baseball players don't listen to The Stone Roses or Primal Scream, but dude? ("Torre....tell ya batters not to walk my way....")

3. The Allman Brothers' classic instrumental "Jessica." This gets played at Yankee Stadium when either team sends for a bullpen pitcher, and I actually think the same song gets played at Shea Stadium for the same purpose. Why? Is this supposed to imply that the guy coming out of the 'pen is a woman?

2 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

you have a very "wierd" proof reader...

9:04 AM

 
Blogger dave said...

agreed. As long as I live I will never get that word right 100 percent of the time.

12:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home