Where NY music fanaticism and NY Mets fanaticism need not be mutually exclusive. Next year is now, bitches!

Monday, November 01, 2004

"Monday...I'm All High...."

Anybody else manage to get Wilco tickets this morning? Fortunately, I had far better luck with the MusicToday ticketing system this time around than I did when I attempted to get Irving Plaza tix a few months back. Considering the talent involved, and the fact that people would pay 65 dollars to see Wilco even if Sleater-Kinney and the Flaming Lips weren't on the bill, this almost strikes me as a bargain. It's nice for once to know what I'm going to do on NYE two months in advance....

Speaking of Sleater-Kinney, tinymixtapes is reporting that they recently signed to Sub Pop, and their upcoming record (Spring 2005) is going to be produced by modern psych guru Dave Fridmann. Hmmm. Just the guy to flesh out those 10 minute noise-o-rama jams that S-K was previewing on their last tour. I am extremely curious to hear the finished product.

This past Saturday night was spent celebrating Halloween a day early at the Tribeca Grand. The performance in question? DFA head honcho James Murphy's live band project - A.K.A. LCD Soundsystem. Despite having gigged sporadically for nearly two years, the latter won't release their debut album until January '05, immediately eliminating it from all Best of '05 lists b/c nobody remembers what came out in January/February, good or bad (Built To Spill's amazing Keep it Like a Secret was a victim of this). They have, however, released a number of fantastic singles.

As the pictures will show, my party was extremely close to the stage, making my customary earplugs all the more valuable (anybody who goes to concerts should wear earplugs. There's no reason not to). General tiredness compounded with not wanting my ears to turn to mush found me and the woman leaving only after five songs, but what we saw was fantastic. Murphy is very charismatic as a frontman, and his band is nothing if not tight. The songs we witnessed included such LCD standards as "Beat Connection," "Tribulations," and "Daft Punk Is Playing At My House," as well as a spooky Halloween reading of Danzig's "Mother," a song which I'm guessing found its way back into Murphy's consciousness from watching the Red Sox (i.e. Keith Foulke) last week. If I were to guess, I'd say that onelouder and megamegamega should also have something to say about this show later in the day, so check 'em out.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home