Where NY music fanaticism and NY Mets fanaticism need not be mutually exclusive. Next year is now, bitches!

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

And that's when I showed her my German Short-haired Pointer...

Get your mind out of the gutter. The title is actually a reference to the breed of the victorious canine at the recent Westminster Dog Show, sort of like the Superbowl for dogs. I was pulling for Knotty the Bloodhound, as the hound group hasn't had a winner in 22 years, but at least there were no Toy Poodles in contention this time out.

In the category of random rock shows that I think I want to attend, Wreckless Eric plays Maxwell's in Hoboken, NJ on March 10th. You may remember him as the Drury-esque, aging British punk who sat in with Yo La Tengo for the third night of their recent Hanukah run. His slightly off-key rendition of Blondie's "Sunday Girl" in response to Ira Kaplan's request that they "play some songs written by Jews!" was golden. Will YLT repay the favor at his gig? I'm sure it will be amusing to find out.

Pitchers and catchers report to St. Lucie for The Amazin's today. Not quite as exciting as it sounds, but still music to the ears of baseball starved office dwellers like this blogger. Will Grant Roberts put down the bong long enough this year to pitch more than 4 2/3 innings? Time will tell. I'm pulling for Heath Bell to land a bullpen spot if only b/c his wind-up is unique, his fastball hits the mid-90's, and those sideburns. I'd find a picture of said sideburns if I wasn't doing this post at work.

The Charlatans UK have never shied away from generously lifting from others' songs...their "Just When You're Thinking Things Over" is a blatant rip of the Stones' Exile-era "Torn and Frayed," "Here Comes a Soul Saver" jacks the riff from Floyd's "Fearless," and there's a few others I can't recall. But perhaps the most obvious of all dawned on me while on the subway this morning; "The Only One I Know" = Deep Purple's "Hush." Useless music knowledge to be sure, but is there any other kind?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home