Where NY music fanaticism and NY Mets fanaticism need not be mutually exclusive. Next year is now, bitches!

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Of jazz organ and female rockage....

Firstly, if you're interested in learning about the history/shows of the short lived Fillmore East I mentioned in the last post (and you should be) this site is very handy and informative.

I think it's kind of sad that I only learned about last week's passing of jazz organ legend Jimmy Smith by reading about it on the All Music Guide. Nicknamed "The Preacher," Smith had his contemporaries (Jimmy McGriff, Brother Jack McDuff), but it was he who clearly put the Hammond B-3 on the map in the late 50's via several recordings on the Blue Note label.

However, his best known work probably remains the track "Root Down," if only because it's been covered a number of times, most notably by the Beastie Boys. The latter essentially sampled everything on that song except the organ part for the well known Ill Communication track, endearing it to thousands of youth who probably failed to realize that the bassline wasn't theirs. The original recording can be found on "Root Down! Live!," a West Coast gig from 1972 on the Verve label. I reccomend it extremely highly, as it's a session of 70's organ jazz so piping hot that it'll fry your speakers. The Root Down bassline remains one of the best ever to this day, and the cover of Al Green's "Let's Stay Together" is also muy caliente. R.I.P. dude.

Finally, although they have yet to post anything regarding this, I was informed earlier today by Onelouder that Sleater-Kinney's The Woods has apparently leaked, and is making the rounds. I'm old enough to fondly recall a time when the first time I heard new music was on the official release date...making Tuesday anticipation all the more strong, but will I listen to this record ahead of it's May 24th release date? Damn right I will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home